Thursday, February 2, 2012

50 Books/50 Covers – AIGA Gallery Exhibition


We had to visit this exhibition for my CRW2 class and as soon as I saw the pieces, I thought of 2D - Communication as well!!! For what better way to communicate to others than through the text, fonts, and colors of book covers? 

From this link, http://designarchives.aiga.org/#/entries/%2Bcollections%3A%2250%20Books%2F50%20Covers%20of%202010%22/_/grid/relevance/asc/0/48/90, you can see that there is an incredible array of book covers in this exhibition, each with their own differentiating aspects that draw in the viewer's attention.


This one book in particular call
ed "Helvetica and the New York City Subway" written by Paul Shaw and published by Blue Pencil Editions, New York caught my attention in particular because it seems like it would be a book one could pick up, read, and gain all the information one can possibly know about the NYC subway system.

Other interesting book cover designs:







3 comments:

  1. I find the incorporation of the text to be very interesting for the different covers especially since each had a different way of using font and images. My favorite was the last one, I find it to be eye catching and extremely creative that it resembles a chocolate box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I find the first one hilarious and I applaud the way it breaks convention in so many ways. "My First Husband" has type that I really like and was thinking of attempting for our current project, so I'm super stoked that it's here. :)

      Delete
  2. The one with the cat is a really great design because the man on the cover appears to be made out of yarn which the cat is playing with and also creating the font, mimicking the title of the book.

    ReplyDelete