Monday, January 31, 2011

Easy Abs at Dylan's Candy Bar


Dylan's Candy Bar is a two floor candy store in uptown New York. It is full of all kinds of candy and other accessories for people who love candy but more specifically for sugar-loving kids. I passed by the shop this weekend, as I am one of those candy-loving people, and was surprised to find a whole section on low fat candy. At first I didn't read the sign above which indicated that it was low fat candy and I was immediately drawn to this magazine cover. I found it funny how in a children prone environment they would draw attention to watching ones weight. I also found it interesting how they decided to advertise this through a magazine cover, which may encourage little kids to read into these magazines and start worrying about the unnecessary obsession with being skinny and beautiful. Being a candy store mainly directed towards children between the ages of 6-14, communicating "healthy" topics should be addressed differently.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, talk about mixed messages. I have never been to Dylan's but thought that it was a candy store for adults. Isn't it run by the daughter of Ralph Lauren, Dylan (so you have the connection with fashion and the obsession for the thin and beautiful). I thought that the store was for grownups who wanted to indulge in childish pleasures as an escape from the complications of adulthood.

    ReplyDelete